Historic Markers Across Georgia



Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Linwood Cemetery, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.623    W 084° 59.076
  32.47705    -84.9846
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM381V
Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery Marker  



Text:

Since Biblical times when Abraham purchased land to bury his wife Sarah, it has been considered a religious obligation for Jews to set aside land for interring their dead. Often before congregations were established burial societies were formed to perform this sacred act. This site, established by Reform congregation Temple B´nai Israel, is the first burial ground in Columbus for members of the Jewish Faith. The first burial was in 1852. Louis Haiman, famous Civil War arms maker for the Confederacy, is interred here as are ancestors of many prominent Columbus families. Jewish burial traditions continue today in the city´s Riverdale Cemetery.

Erected by the Historic Columbus Foundation and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission 1998



 

 

106-A12