Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Infantryman



Marker ID:  
Location: 3800 South Lumpkin Road, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 23.367    W 084° 57.313
  32.38945    -84.95521666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Infantryman



The Infantryman was unveiled on Eubanks Field in May of 1960. The statue was later moved to a place of honor in front of the new Infantry School Building in 1964.

It was designed to serve as a constant reminder and inspiration to all who came to Fort Benning. The statue depicts the classic pose of the Infantry squad leader: powerful, dynamic, alert, weapon in hand, leading his men forward, as always the dominant and decisive figure on the battlefield.

This original statue was restored and placed here in 2009 as the centerpiece of the new National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center to honor all Infantry Soldiers. The following are responsible for the statue's creation and initial placement.

General Paul L. Freeman, Jr.
Approved project in spring of 1959

Colonel John M. Woestenburg
Post Ordnance Officer, Project Supervisor

Specialist Fourth Class Manfred Bass
Chief Sculptor and material designer

Specialist Fourth Class Karl Von Krog
Responsible for molding and casting

Officer Candidate Eugene Wyles
Posed for the statue
2009



 
Notes:

Marker is on Legacy Way east of South Lumpkin Road

 

106-A127