Historic Markers Across Georgia



Empire Mills



Marker ID:  
Location: 800 Front Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.743    W 084° 59.671
  32.462383    -84.994517
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3AJM
Empire Mills Marker  



Text:

G.W. Woodruff began grist operations in 1861 on this site previously occupied in 1847 by E.T. Taylor Cotton Gin Company and in 1841 by William Waters Gerrard´s cotton warehouse. Empire Mills ran night and day during the Civil War and was spared in 1865 when Union Troops burned all non-food-producing industry in the city. By 1887 it was the largest meal and flour mill in the South, operating 36 roller mills with a capacity of 600 barrels of flour per day. Empire also produced Graham flour, bran, grits, and cornmeal -- all ground on eight runs of horizontal stones, some of which are displayed on this site.



 

 

106-A18