Historic Markers Across Georgia



First African Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 901 Fifth Avenue, Columbus , GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.78    W 084° 59.18
  32.463    -84.98633333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4W1T
First African Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

The initial congregation of this church was formed by slaves who had attended Ephesus Baptist Church (later First Baptist), since its organization on February 14, 1829. When a new church was built in 1840 the slaves worshipped in the older building. White ministers served the African Baptist Church until 1862 when Rev. Harry Watson became the first black minister. The church was granted a site at Eleventh Street and Sixth Avenue by the Georgia General Assembly but moved to its current location at a cost of $75,000. in 1915. It was renamed First African Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. J. H. Smith.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First African Baptist Church 1994



 

First African Baptist Church


 

106-A19