Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 12th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.11    W 084° 59.381
  32.4685    -84.98968333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM455G
First Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

On February 14, 1829, twelve persons met and organized under the name Ephesus Baptist Church of Columbus. The northern half of this block had been designated for religious purposes in the state survey of 1828, and a small meeting house was built for the church on this site in 1830. This was replaced by a larger frame structure in 1840, the same year the General Assembly of Georgia granted a charter to the Baptist Church of Columbus. The name was changed to First Baptist Church of Columbus, Georgia, in 1896.

The present sanctuary was constructed in 1859. The Doric columns and wings were added in this century.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH 1989



 
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church


 

106-A20