Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Presbyterian Church (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1st Avenue and 11th Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.033    W 084° 59.495
  32.46721666    -84.99158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C7R
First Presbyterian Church (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

The Presbyterians were granted one of the original church lots in the 1828 Columbus plan. It was on the north side of Chapel St. between Second and Third Avenues. The fourteen charter members, received in 1830, were: Edward Featherston, William Root, James S. Norman, Richard T. Marks, David Dean, Thomas B. McCreary, John Johnson, Mrs. Jane L. Marks, Mrs. Leah J. Norman, Mrs. Harriet A. Root, Mrs. Miriam Dean, Mrs. Sarah DeGraffenried, Mrs. Eliza Bullock, Miss Rebecca Featherston. In 1831 the congregation was granted a lot at the northeast corner of Second Ave. and Tenth St., where services were held for thirty years. The move to Eleventh St. and First Ave. came in 1862.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Presbyterian Church, 1990



 
First Presbyteian Church
First Presbyterian Church (Side 1)


 

106-A22