Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Presbyterian Church (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1st Avenue and 11th Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.033    W 084° 59.495
  32.46721666    -84.99158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C7R
First Presbyterian Church (Side 2)  Marker  



Text:

The First Presbyterian Church building on the northeast corner of Eleventh St. and First Ave. was dedicated in 1862. In 1891 the sanctuary was severely damaged by fire. It reopened for services in 1893. After the fire, the "city" clock was placed in the bell tower. The design of the building is Romanesque. Wings were constructed in 1925 and a free-standing chapel in 1952. Renovations were made in 1969 and an addition in 1974. The General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, U.S. was hosted by First Church in 1982, when the vote to reunite the U.S. and U.S.A. churches was taken. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Presbyterian Church, 1990



 
First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church (Side 2)


 

106-A23