Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fourth Street Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 5th Street at Third Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.31    W 084° 59.365
  32.45516666    -84.98941666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C1D
Fourth Street Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

In 1900 the Mt. Canaan Baptist Church was established under the leadership of the Reverends John Bellamy and Willis Carter when a few men and women met under a fig tree on Third Avenue to worship. In 1901 Rev. Bellamy separated from Mt. Canaan to organize a group of fifteen members who worshipped under a brush arbor on fifth street as New Canaan Baptist Church. Rev. Bellamy resigned as pastor in 1901 as was replaced by Rev. Pearson under whose leadership a fifty dollar tract of land was purchased. A shelter was built for worship and became Fourth Street Baptist Church.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation 1995




Fourth Street Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

106-A24