Historic Markers Across Georgia



Friendship Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 6th Ave between 8th and 9th Sts, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.742    W 084° 59.101
  32.46236666    -84.98501666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7XHZ
Friendship Baptist Church  Marker  



Text:

Founded in 1892 at 4th Avenue and 6th Street, the church moved to its permanent home here in January of 1897. The first minister was Rev. J. S. Kelsey, who served the church from 1897-1901. The present building was completed under his leadership. It was enlarged and improved during the long ministry of Rev. R. K. Paschel, 1901-1944. A dream of Rev. Paschel was realized in 1950 with the completion of the educational annex named in his honor. Four other pastors served during the church´s first century: A. W. Fortson, 1944-1968; W. H. Smith, 1968-1974; James H. Carter, 1974-1978; and Emmett S. Aniton, Jr., 1979-present. "In this church on the corner, everybody is somebody."

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friendship Baptist Church, 1992



 

Friendship Baptist Church


 

106-A25