Historic Markers Across Georgia



Leonard Spring Columbus' Original Source of Water



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Opposite 2001 Country Club Road, Columbus (E of Cherokee Ave)
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.15    W 084° 57.762
  32.48583333    -84.9627
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8047
Leonard Spring Columbus' Original Source of Water Marker  



Text:

In 1839 citizens first called for the development of a water works system. On this site is located the original source of water for drinking and general household use for Columbus. Beginning in 1844, Leonard Spring, with a discharge of 200,000 gallons a day, provided water to the City through a series of wooden pipes. Water was piped to Broad Street by way of Randolph Street, now known as 12th Street. In the 1880´s city water was obtained from Lee County, Alabama. The present water plant on River Road was built in 1916. Since 1844, an ample supply of water has been one of Columbus´ greatest assets and a vital fuel for its growth.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Columbus Water Works 1989



 

 

106-A31