Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty Hill Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 6804 Forest Road, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.290    W 84° 52.484
  32.48817    -84.87473
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8PXE
Liberty Hill Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

Organized in 1869 by slaves, the first church building was built on land donated by Mrs. Emma Jones and Mrs. Nora Felton. The church was called the Bush Arbor Church because the construction and materials used. Reverend Phil Owens was the first pastor. A permanent church was built in 1875. It was a white wooden structure that served as the first school in the area as well as the meeting place for the International Benevolent Society. Renamed Liberty Hill Baptist Church, Inc. in 1956, the church continues to grow and is known as "The Little Church with the Big Heart."

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Liberty Hill Baptist Church, 2005



 
Liberty Hill Baptist Church
Liberty Hill Baptist Church


 

106-A31A