Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mildred L. Terry Branch Library



Marker ID: GHS 106-1
Location: 640 Veterans Parkway, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.474    W 084° 59.246
  32.4579    -84.98743333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7PV2
Mildred L. Terry Branch Library  Marker  



Text:

The first public library for African Americans in segregated Columbus, the Colored/Fourth Avenue Library, opened on January 5, 1953. The existence of this facility resulted from covenants and restrictions barring the use of the city´s new public library by African Americans. The project was completed with expenditures of less than one hundred thousand dollars. The library was renamed the Mildred L. Terry Branch in 1981 to honor its first librarian.

2003-12 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Kendrick High School Young Historians, Muscogee County Friends of Libraries, Chattahoochee Valley Regional Library System, and Historic Columbus Foundation 106-1



 

Mildred L. Terry Branch Library


 

106-A36