Historic Markers Across Georgia



Philip Thomas Schley



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Second Avenue at 15th Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.442    W 084° 59.429
  32.47403333    -84.99048333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM80DA
Philip Thomas Schley  Marker  



Text:

This house was built cira 1840 on the present site of First Presbyterian Church, by Philip Thomas Schley. Capt. Schley came to Columbus in 1834 at the request of his brother, Georgia Gov. William to command the Muscogee Blues, a militia company active in the Indian Wars. In 1858 Capt. Schley sold his lot to the Presbyterians and had his house dismantled, moved and rebuilt at this site, 14455 Second Avenue. The house was later owned by the family of James H. Warner, who had been Chief Engineer of the Confederate Navel Iron Works in Columbus.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
and the Historic Columbus Foundation
1987



 

 

106-A39