Historic Markers Across Georgia



Philip Trammell Shutze 1890-1982



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Veterans Parkway between 11th and 12th Sts (at Ga Power)
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.048    W 084° 59.247
  32.46746666    -84.98745
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4HJ3
Philip Trammell Shutze 1890-1982  Marker  



Text:

A Columbus Native whose birthplace stood close to this site, Shutze became one of the most prominent American architects of the twentieth century. After graduating from the Georgia Institute of Technology and from Columbia University with degrees in Architecture, Shutze studies for several years at the American Academy in Rome, Italy. In the mid-1920´s, as a partner in Atlanta´s premier architectural firm, Shutze began to work on a series of commercial and residential structures that would bring him acclaim from throughout the design world. The Swan (1926), Shutze´s most extraordinary expression of the classical ideal, serves as the headquarters of the Atlanta Historical Society. Shutze is buried in Columbus´s historic Linwood cemetery.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Historic Columbus Foundation, and the West Georgia Chapter of the American institute of Architecture 1992



 

 

106-A40