Historic Markers Across Georgia



Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1516 Fifth Ave, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.491    W 084° 59.16
  32.47485    -84.986
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q3C
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church  Marker  



Text:

This one-story Victorian Gothic structure dates back to 1870. The cornerstone of the church indicates that the building was constructed in 1870 with the basement added in 1890. This suggests that the original wooden church was raised, a basement added, and then the entire structure bricked in. St. John AME Church was originally named St. John Chapel and its congregation descended from that of St. James AME church in Columbus. The congregation was forced to move to a new site when the historic structure was severely damaged by a tornado. The Faith Tabernacle Full Gospel Outreach Church bought the St. John AME Church in 1993, committed to its restoration.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
and the Faith Tabernacle Full gospel Outreach church 1994



 

Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church


 

106-A43