Historic Markers Across Georgia



Secondary Industrial School (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1112 29th St., Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.380    W 084° 58.643
  32.48966666    -84.97738333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM804Q
Secondary Industrial School (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

Proposed in 1904 by Carleton B. Gibson, Columbus School Superintendent, the Secondary Industrial School is regarded as the nation´s first public coeducational industrial high school. G. Gunby Jordan, then President of the School Board, and his son R. C. Jordan donated the land and were instrumental in developing the school. The school was centrally located in Waverly Terrace, a community planned and developed by the Jordan Company, and completed in 1906. The school´s name changed to Columbus Industrial High School in 1912 and again in 1939 to Columbus Junior High School.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Historic Columbus Foundation and School Alumni, 2003



 

Secondary Industrial School (Side 1)

Notes:

Two sided marker.

 

106-A45