Historic Markers Across Georgia



Secondary Industrial School (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1112 29th St., Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.380    W 084° 58.643
  32.48966666    -84.97738333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM804Q
Secondary Industrial School (Side 2)  Marker  



Text:

Designed by the Atlanta firm of J. W. Golucke, the building is of monumental style and scale. Using brick and stone to illustrate the Neo-Classical details, this architectural design was popular for public buildings at the turn of the nineteenth century. The building´s appearance has remained essentially unchanged since its opening with only minor alterations and an addition of a rear gymnasium in the 1930s. The interior layout is three floors over an English basement, or "Quincy Plan." Golucke was best known for designing twenty courthouses in Georgia. This structure represents one of his few designs that is not a courthouse.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Historic Columbus Foundation and School Alumni, 2003



 

Secondary Industrial School (Side 2)

Notes:

Two sided marker.

 

106-A46