Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. James AME Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 6th Ave between 10th and 11th Streets, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.922    W 084° 59.08
  32.46536666    -84.98466666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NPF
St. James AME Church  Marker  



Text:

St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1863. The present church is built on land granted by act of the Georgia Legislature in 1873. It was erected in 1876 under the pastorate of Rev. Wesley J. Gaines, at a cost of $20,000. Rev. Gaines was the first pastor on record of the church. The graceful central tower and flanking turrets were added in 1886 during the ministry of Rev. L.L. Thomas. St. James AME Church ranks as the second oldest church of the domination in Georgia. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, St. James AME Church, Mrs. Carlton B. Franklin and Fred D. Franklin, Jr., Families 1985



St. James AME Church
St. James AME Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

106-A48