Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Cedars



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 2039 13th Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.33    W 084° 57.69
  32.47216666    -84.9615
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7X8M
The Cedars  Marker  



Text:

IIn 1836, John Banks and his wife, the former Sarah Watkins, both natives of Elbert Co., Ga., moved to Columbus, bought this property (then totaling 265 acres) in the fashionable suburb of Wynnton and began construction of this Greek Revival house. Already a successful lawyer and merchant, Banks became involved in banking and manufacturing, the operation of large plantations south of the city, and local philanthropy including the co-founding of the Wynnton School on his property. The Cedars, his family residence, boats 18-inch thick exterior brick walls and interior faux graining and marbling. It has remained continuously in the Banks family.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND BANKS DESCENDANTS 1994



 

The Cedars


 

106-A49