Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Folly



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 527 First Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.378    W 084° 59.515
  32.4563    -84.99191666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C1E
The Folly  Marker  



Text:

A dwelling has existed at 527 First Avenue since 1831 when Alfred Iverson wed Julia Forsyth, daughter of Georgia Governor John Forsyth, Elected to Congress in 1846, Iverson served in the senate until Georgia seceded from the Union. Two sons served in the Confederate Army, one as a Brigadier General and one as a Lt. Colonel. During the War Between the States, local contractor Leander May surely knew of O.S. Fowler´s "A Home for All Seasons," and not only built the front octagonal but also converted the Iverson into a smaller octagonal. "The Folly" became a National Historic Landmark of Architecture in 1975.

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE HISTORIC COLUMBUS FOUNDATION 1985



 

The Folly


 

106-A50