Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 12th Street near Front Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.11    W 084° 59.652
  32.4685    -84.9942
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Y2H
The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers  Marker  



Text:

The Columbus Enquirer and The Columbus Ledger have been published from this site since 1930. The Enquirer was founded in 1828 by Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, later the second president of the Republic of Texas. The Ledger was founded in 1886 by Edward T. Byington and his wife, Ella G. Byington. In 1893, The Ledger was purchased by Rinaldo William Page. The Page family purchased the Enquirer in 1930 and owned both newspapers until they were sold to Knight Newspapers, Inc., now Knight-Ridder Inc., in 1973. Both have won the Pulitzer Prize for public Service, journalism´s highest award. The Enquirer in 1926 and the Ledger in 1955. The Mediterranean style building was completed in 1930 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the R. W. Page Corporation, 1986



 
The Columbus Enquirer and The Columbus Ledger
The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers


 

106-A52