Historic Markers Across Georgia



Trinity Episcopal Church (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1100 block of 1st Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.073    W 084° 59.496
  32.46788333    -84.9916
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C7Q
Trinity Episcopal Church (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

The cornerstone of Trinity Episcopal Church was laid in 1890. The present church replaced the congregation´s first building which stood across the street at 1140 First Avenue. Since its foundation in 1834, Trinity has held regular worship services in Columbus. The church added a parish house in 1925-26, with further expansion completed in 1965. Trinity serves the oldest and largest Episcopal congregation in Columbus. The only Gothic Revival church in Columbus, it possesses architectural significance that shows kinship to English countryside churches: Gothic arches and a square bell tower are distinctive features.

(Continued on other side)

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH 1989



 

 

106-A56