Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bullard-Hart-Sampson House



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1408 Third Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.377    W 084° 59.334
  32.47295    -84.9889
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM80DW
Bullard-Hart-Sampson House  Marker  



Text:

Built in 1887 by Dr. William L. Bullard, Columbus physician and pioneer ear, eye, nose and throat specialist, this house is a splendid example of Second Empire Victorian architecture. It was designed by L.E. Thornton of New York.

The Bullard family lived here for 90 years. Their guests included President Franklin D. Roosevelt and generals George Patton and George Marshall who dined on "Country Captain." A popular regional dish originated by the family cook, Arle Mullins.

The house was listed in the National register in 1977 and painstakingly restored in 1978 by the new owners, dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Sampson.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation 1991



 

Bullard-Hart-Sampson House


 

106-A6