Historic Markers Across Georgia



William H. Spencer High School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 800 Tenth Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.684    W 084° 58.782
  32.4614    -84.9797
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4W1M
William H. Spencer High School  Marker  



Text:

On this site, on November 29, 1930, the first local high school for colored students opened. The school was the result of a grant from the Rosenwald Foundation and was named in honor of William Henry Spencer, Supervisor of the Colored Schools in Muscogee County from 1912-1925. The first principal was Professor F. R. Lampkin, who also served as Supervisor of Colored Schools in Muscogee County from 1930-1945. The teaching staff consisted of 15 members. T. hicks Fort was President of the Board of Education

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE MUSCOGEE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 1990



 

William H. Spencer High School

Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington

 

106-A60