Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colored Department of The City Hospital (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Corner of 17th Street & 8th Avenue (across from the backside of Linwood Cemetery) Columbus, Georgia.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.726    W 084° 58.939
  32.478767    -84.982317
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM39GH
Colored Department of The City Hospital (Side 1) Marker  



Text:

The first City Hospital, c. 1841, was located on the South Commons. Called the Pest House, its clients were charity patients. The second City Hospital, c. 1894, was built across from Linwood Cemetery. Architectural details of the Victorian era hospital included a turret, porte-cochere and covered walkways from white and colored wards leading to a brick operating room, to the left of the building. Columbus third hospital was built in 1915, with the Colored Department building located to the rear. The Colored Department was a three-story brick structure completely fitted with the latest and most modern equipment, providing thirty beds.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Alfonso Biggs and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., 2003.



 
Notes:

Side 2: Doctors and Nurses

 

106-A64