Historic Markers Across Georgia



Doctors and Nurses (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Corner of 17th Street & 8th Avenue (across from the backside of Linwood Cemetery) Columbus, Georgia.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.726    W 084° 58.939
  32.478767    -84.982317
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM39GH
Doctors and Nurses (Side 2) Marker  



Text:

The service of midwives in early years was vital to the health of Columbus colored patients. The Columbus Colored Medical Association was responsible for the building and maintenance of the Colored Department building in 1915. Dr. W.T. Ayers, Dr. E.J. Turner, Dr. D.W. Gallimore, Dr. M.L. Taylor and Dr. Thomas H. Brewer comprised the board. The Public Health Nurse Association began in 1917. The first colored nurse hired was Sarah V. Allen. Three other colored nurses were soon hired to fulfill the growing need. They were Dagmar Ferell, Mabel Priester and Erlynne Oglen. The four nurses assisted in bedside care and home instruction.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Alfonso Biggs and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., 2003.



 
Notes:

Side 1:Colored Department Of The City Hospital

 

106-A65