Historic Markers Across Georgia



Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 718 8th Street, Columbus, Georgia
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.644    W 084° 58.932
  32.460733    -84.982200
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4W2A
Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker  



Text:

SIDE 1:

In 1884, a group of black citizens banded together to organize a church. They appealed to the Commissioners of Columbus, Georgia, and obtained a lot on Eighth Street. The first church was completed in 1886 and called Everett Chapel after Newton Everett, one of the original founders and trustees. In 1894, the church was renamed Holsey Chapel, after Bishop Lucius H. Holsey, who played a vital role in the organization of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1915, Holsey Chapel was destroyed by a storm. A new building was completed in 1919, along with a parsonage. The current brick structure was built in 1946.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, 2004.


SIDE 2:

In 1888, Reverend P. W. Powell became pastor of Everett Chapel. When Everett Chapel was renamed Holsey Chapel in 1894, Revered C. T. Shatten served the congregation. Revered Loyd McAfee was pastor from 1904 until 1919. Other pastors have included the Reverends Samuel Dunbar, Lewis Pearcey, Talton Cunningham, Needham Means, John Cochran, Edward Roberts, Frank Rowe and John Parham. Holsey Chapel experienced its greatest growth under the leadership of Edward D. Bryson, who was followed by L. P. Napier. Under the leadership of Reverend Allen Page, III, Holsey Chapel remains strong because of effective leadership and dedicated membership.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, 2004.




 

Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church


 

106-A66