Historic Markers Across Georgia



Temple Israel



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 10th Street just west of its intersection with Veteran's Parkway in Columbus, Ga.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.884    W 084° 59.282
  32.464733    -84.988033
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4HNZ
Temple Israel  Marker  



Text:

SIDE 1: Temple Israel

In 1854 twenty Columbus families banded together to form congregation B´Nai Israel, later known as Temple Israel, one of the first Jewish congregations in Georgia. For almost one hundred years religious services were held on this site, first in a wooden structure followed by a classical cathedral style edifice reflecting Synagogue architecture of that era. This two story brick Temple, built in 1886 was dedicated September 2, 1887. The last service held in this location was on March 8, 1958. The congregation then moved into a contemporary building on Wildwood Avenue.

This marker is dedicated in memory of Alan Friend Rothschild by his sisters and brothers.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., 2005

SIDE 2: Temple Israel

Records exist of Jewish births, marriages, deaths and burials in Columbus following the city´s founding in 1828. In 1875, Temple Israel became a founding member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the reform movement´s umbrella organization. Temple Israel has continuously functioned as a reform congregation with religious, educational and community outreach programs. The Temple´s 150th anniversary was celebrated in 2004.

This marker is dedicated in memory of Alan Friend Rothschild by his sisters and brothers.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and The Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., 2005



 

 

106-A67