Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cargill-Wright Company (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 11 9th St., Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.507    W 084° 59.646
  32.475117    -84.994100
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3AJK
Cargill-Wright Company (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

Built in 1902, the Cargill-Wright Company, candy manufacturers and syrup refiners, were the first occupants of this building. The building was also home to Penick and Ford, and the Hardaway-Cargill Company, both syrup refiners, and Mitchell Hosiery Mills. In 1930, Sol Loeb Wholesale Grocery Company moved here from its original 12th Street location. One of ten original customers of the William Wrigley Company, Sol Loeb was the first wholesale company to sell a case of Red Devil lye and one of the original members of the Columbus Telephone Exchange. The company remained in the building until 1989.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission; the Stone Tree Group, LLC; and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.; 2002



 

 

106-A7