Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Riverdale Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the entrance to the Riverdale Cemetery in Columbus, Georgia. The cemetery's main entrance is located at 10th Avenue and Victory Drive
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 26.951    W 084° 58.766
  32.449183    -84.979433
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4THA
Historic Riverdale Cemetery Marker  



Text:

Side One:
In 1890, availability of lots at Linwood Cemetery, the oldest institution of the Columbus city government, was becoming scarce. At this time, the city acquired additional property on 10th. Avenue which became Riverdale Cemetery. The brick building near the entrance, erected in 1915, originally contained a chapel, housing for the city sexton and a bell tower atop an arched passageway for funeral processions. Many citizens who have contributed significantly to the development and history of Columbus are buried here.

Side Two:
Through the years, special sections have been marked at the cemetery, including the American Legion for veterans of the armed forces, a separate area for Spanish-American War veterans highlighted by a monument to the Maine, two sections for members of the Jewish community, and an area of miniature lots called 'Baby Land´. In addition, a monument resembling a circus tent was placed by the Kennedy Circus in Section 1 to memorialize those killed in a 1915 accident involving a circus train from the Con T. Kennedy Shows and a Central of Georgia passenger train.

Erected in Memory of Lawrence S. Rosenstrauch by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc. - 2008



 

Historic Riverdale Cemetery

Notes:

Two sided marker

 

106-A72