Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fortson House 1858 (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1100 Fortson Road, Fortson
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.411    W 084° 56.207
  32.60685    -84.93678333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8Q1F
Fortson House 1858 (Side 1)  Marker  



Text:

Thomas and Elizabeth Almond settled in this area with her orphaned brother Thomas Daniel Fortson in the 1830s. In 1858, as a prominent farmer, Fortson built this Greek Revival Georgian Cottage, its surrounding outbuildings and cotton terraces. He also ran a gristmill on the nearby Heiferhorn Creek during the Civil War. His son, Thomas Willis Fortson, established a general store and was appointed Station Agent and Postmaster for Fortson, Georgia in 1885. The Fortson House has remained continously in the family and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Historic Columbus Foundation, and Dr. and Mrs. Mark R. Fortson 2008



 

Fortson House 1858 (Side 1)

Notes:

Dedication June 14, 2008
Sire 2: The Fortson Community

 

106-A74