Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Fortson Community (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 1100 Fortson Road, Fortson
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 36.411    W 084° 56.207
  32.60685    -84.93678333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8Q1F
The Fortson Community (Side 2)  Marker  



Text:

Originally called Blanchard´s Crossing, this area was renamed Fortson in 1885 when the Columbus & Rome Railroad built a station on Fortson property. Thomas Willis Fortson established the Fortson General Store and Post Office, housed from 1904 in the brick building adjacent to the tracks. Luther Getzen Fortson operated the store and post office until 1963. Across the tracks from the store, the Getzen House, built in 1882 for T.W. Fortson´s sister, was the home of his in-laws, Samuel Luther and Fannie Mealing Getzen, who organized the Getzen Memorial Baptist Church in 1904.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Historic Columbus Foundation, and Dr. and Mrs. Mark R. Fortson 2008



 

The Fortson Community (Side 2)

Notes:

Dedication June 14, 2008
Sire 1: Fortson House 1858

 

106-A75