Historic Markers Across Georgia



One Arsenal Place at Columbus Ironworks



Marker ID:  
Location: 901 Front Avenue, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.798    W 084° 59.693
  32.4633    -84.99488333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM80G7
One Arsenal Place at Columbus Ironworks Marker  



Text:

One Arsenal Place occupies the old drop-forge shop and warehouse for the Columbus Ironworks. The foundry served as an arsenal of the Confederacy, producing ammunition, mortar and rifled cannon. Boilers, steam engines, and armored plate were manufactured beginning in 1862, when the complex was designated as the Confederate States Naval Ironworks.

From 1877 to 1971, this building housed the Southern Plow Company, a subsidiary of Columbus Iron Works. The firm manufactured cast iron goods and agricultural implements, including cotton planters, harrows, cultivators, hay presses, cane mills, and plows.

Columbus Iron Works is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic landmark in 1978.



 

One Arsenal Place at Columbus Ironworks


 

106-A79