Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tyler Home - Ladies Aid Society



Marker ID: WPA 
Location: Veterans Parkway at 14th Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.355    W 084° 59.263
  32.47258333    -84.98771666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM80HY
Tyler Home - Ladies Aid Society Marker  



Text:

Where in March 1866, the Ladies Aid Society organized the first memorial association honoring Confederate heroes. "One Day" each year is theirs.

W.P.A. - 1936 - U.D.C.


Side Two:

LADIES MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION
Organized March 12, 1865

Officers Elected
Mrs. Robert Carter - President
Mrs. Robert A. Ware p 1st, Vice President
Mrs. J. M. McAllister - 2nd Vice President
Mrs. M.A. Patten - Treasurer
Mr. Charles J. Williams - Secretary

W.P.A. - 1936 - L.M.A.



 

Tyler Home - Ladies Aid Society

Notes:

The Tyler home no longer exists at this location. The area has gone commercial and this lot is currently occupied by the offices of the Columbus Water Works. The cause for the confusion between the date of 1865 and 1866 between the two plaques is unclear. Since the war was still ongoing in March of 1865, it would appear that an error was made on the date on side two and never corrected. It is also apparent that the United Daughters of the Confederacy played a part in the erection of this monument since their initials are listed along with those of the W.P.A.

Source CrippledBlindSquirrel title="Waymarkl" target="_blank">

 

106-A81