Historic Markers Across Georgia



Federal Forces Capture Columbus Georgia (un-named stone monument)



Marker ID:  
Location: On 14th street at Broadway Ave, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.360    W 084° 59.593
  32.47266666    -84.99321666
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM80XC
Federal Forces Capture Columbus Georgia (un-named stone monument) Marker  



Text:

At 8 PM Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865, federal forces, trying to secure the crossing of the Chattahoochee River, attacked strong defenses near Columbus, Georgia. In the face of heavy musketry and artillery fire, the Federals penetrated the Confederate lines, occupied Columbus, and took 1200 prisoners.

East face
Federal Forces

Calvary Corps
Military Division of the Mississippi
Bvt. Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson commanding

4th Division

1st Brigade
3rd Ohio Calvary
4th Ohio Cavalry
10th Missouri Cavalry

2nd Brigade
1st Ohio Calvary
5tht Ohio Calvary
Battery L 4th U.S. Artillery

West Face

Confederate forces
Maj. Gen. Howell Cobb, commanding
Georgia Reserves and Military District of Georgia

District of Alabama

Cavalry
Department of Alabama
Mississippi and East Louisiana

20th Louisiana Infantry

South Face

This monument was erected October, 1938,
under authority of an act of Congress
sponsored by the Historical Society of Columbus, Georgia,
and approved April 10th, 1936



 

Federal Forces Capture Columbus Georgia (un-named stone monument)


 

106-A82