Historic Markers Across Georgia



River Commerce



Marker ID:  
Location: On "The River Walk" next to the Chattahoochee River at the Columbus Convention & Trade Center, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.727    W 084° 59.801
  32.46211666    -84.99668333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM819M
River Commerce Marker  



Text:

This wharf marks the head of navigation on the river. Before the damming of the river, a series of falls (about six hundred yards north of this point) blocked the passage of riverboats. The Georgia Legislature established Columbus in 1828 specifically as a "trading town´ to capitalize on the river´s commercial potential. Until railroads reach the area and in the 1850s, the Chattahoochee served as the major artery in moving cotton from this region and world markets.

1983



 

River Commerce


 

106-A85