Historic Markers Across Georgia



Church of the Holy Family



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 12th St at Veterans Drive, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.111    W 084° 59.290
  32.468517    -84.988167
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4H2A
Church of the Holy Family  Marker  



Text:

SIDE 1:

This is the mother church of Roman Catholicism in this area, serving as the only Catholic Church in Columbus from 1880 to 1958. The first Catholic church, the Church of Sts. Philip and James, was built in 1835 on what is now Chapel Street on one of the original lots designated for churches when Columbus was founded in 1828. Early missionary efforts from Sts. Philip and James reached Decatur and Terminus (now Atlanta), Macon, Eufaula, and Apalachicola, Fla. Missionaries visited these stations by rail, riverboat, oxcart or even by foot, quarterly or twice yearly. First resident pastor was Rev. James Graham.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and members of the Holy Family Parish, 1992


SIDE 2: Church of the Holy Family

The parish relocated to this site when the new church was dedicated May 12, 1880, and the name changed to The Church of The Holy Family. The Gothic-Byzantine structure was designed by architect Daniel Matthew Foley who was born in Dublin, Ireland. This church was built on property given by the Sisters of Mercy. The parish education building is located on the site where their convent and the school, St. Joseph´s Academy, stood from 1870 to 1964. This is the only downtown church with a grave located on its grounds. Rev. Michael Cullinan, a pastor of Sts. Philip and James, was buried here just east of the church´s main entrance.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and members of the Holy Family Parish, 1992`



 
Church of the Holy Family
Church of the Holy Family


 

106-A9