Historic Markers Across Georgia



Columbus College



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Warm Springs Road, Columbus, Georgia
County: Muscogee
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Columbus College


(Side 1)
Established through the efforts of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce, Board of Education and local residents, Columbus College opened as a junior college near this site in the renovated Shannon Hosiery Mill on September 22, 1958. The facility had 19 classrooms and opened with 15 faculty and 265 students. Dr. Thomas Y. Whitley was president; there were five academic programs. In 1963, the college was relocated to its permanent home on Gentian Boulevard. In 1965, it became a four-year institution. As the college grew, new majors and masters programs were added, and in 1996 the school officially became Columbus State University.
(Side 2)
In 2008, 50 years after its founding, Columbus State University had 80 buildings on three sites (main campus, RiverPark and Oxford, England), 7,590 students, and 278 faculty members. The University offered 50 undergraduate programs and more than 35 masters or specialist programs. The Shannon Mill, where it all began, was razed in 1988, and the Hannan Elementary School was built in its place. More than 20,000 bricks from the mill's old smokestack were salvaged and cleaned by college faculty, staff and students and were used to line the inner arches of the Whitley Clock Tower, built in 1991 in the center of the CSU main campus.


Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission
and Columbus State University 2008



 
Notes:

Marker Dedication Date: May 11, 2009