Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pemberton's Drugstores, 1857-69



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: intersection of Broadway and East 10th St, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.898    W 084° 59.583
  32.46496666    -84.99305
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMV2AP
Pemberton's Drugstores, 1857-69 Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Pemberton's Drugstores, 1857-69


(Side 1)
Dr. John S. Pemberton, physician, pharmacist, and manufacturing chemist, was one of many druggists in Columbus. Pemberton was a partner in six firms from 1857-1869. His partners included Robert Carter, another druggist, and Nathaniel Nuckolls, a wealthy local businessman who supplied only capital for their store in Cook's Hotel. All of Pemberton's drug stores had a soda fountain dispensing sparkling drinks for ten fruit extracts with soda water. His French Wine of Coca, later Coca-Cola, was marketed as a tonic and a soda fountain drink.
(Side 2)

These ads reveal what patent medicines were being sold in drugstores at the time. The map shows the locations of Dr. Pemberton's drugstores in downtown Columbus.

Erected by Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
and The Historic Chattahoochee Commission 2015




Pemberton's Drugstores, 1857-69
Photo by David Seibert



 

106-A96