Historic Markers Across Georgia



Radcliff School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 526 Radcliff Ave, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.374    W 084° 57.198
  32.45623333    -84.9533
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Radcliff School


In the fall of 1914 Radcliff School was organized in Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. At that time it was known as Wynnton Hill School. J. L. Bond was principal and the first head teacher was Mrs. S. A. Cody. When the building burned, the school was relocated to Wynnton Hill Baptist Church and later Primitive Baptist Church. In 1929, the school name was changed to Radcliff after a new building was erected on land purchased through a grant from the Rosenwald Foundation. Mrs. Cody was principal with an enrollment of 100 pupils. Radcliff became a junior high in 1940 and, in 1944, became the second senior high school in Columbus for blacks. Mr. B. F. Mosely was principal from 1935-1952 and Dr. M. A. Clarke and Mr. B. T. Stafford followed him. Radcliff was destroyed by fire in 1971.

Erected by Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
and The Historic Chattahoochee Commission 2015



 
Notes:

Marker Dedication January 1, 1993

 

106-A97