Historic Markers Across Georgia



Rose Hill/Mott / Fox-Huguley House



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 2027, 6th Ave, Columbus, Georgia.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Rose Hill/Mott


The Rose Hill community received its name from resident Mrs. James Carter Cook, who suggested it in reference to the numerous area homes with lovely rose gardens. The community traces its origins prior to the Civil War when several large estates occupied the area. During the latter part of the 19th century, these estates were sub-divided. A mix of affluent and middle class residents occupied the homes built afterward and shaped the community. Victorian is the predominant architectural style in Rose Hill. In the late 20th century, the area became the home of several medical offices.


Fox-Huguley House


Located at 2027 6th Avenue, this home and carriage house was built by J. Randolph and A.E. Mott in 1892. The Motts lived in the house briefly before selling the property to their son, James Randolph Mott, and his wife, Annie Mott. For most of the 20th century, Jacob and Kathryn Fox owned the house. In 1950 owner M.C. Huguley divided it into apartments. In 2008, Col. and Mrs. Terry Wilson rehabilitated the home for offices. The house is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style, featuring an asymmetrical plan, wrap-around porch, and ornate details.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission,
Colonel and Mrs. Terry Wilson,
and Historic Columbus, 2013.



 
Notes:

Marker Dedication Date 2013