Historic Markers Across Georgia



Newton County



Marker ID: GHM 107-1
Location: Square opposite courthouse, Covington, GA
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.802    W 083° 51.594
  33.59669876    -83.85990143
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Newton County Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 24, 1821, is named for Sergeant John Newton, Revolutionary soldier & companion of Sergeant Jasper for whom Jasper County is named. The County Site is named for Gen. Covington. G.C. Adams, County School Commissioner, in 1893 inaugurated the first free transportation for public school pupils in the nation. He later founded the first 4-H Club. Nearby is located the famous Methodist College, Emory at Oxford, charter in 1836, named for Bishop John Emory and now a part of Emory University.

GHM 107-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

107-1