Historic Markers Across Georgia



Red Oak Church



Marker ID: GHM 107-2
Location: At church, Ga 36 .8 mile north of Ga 212 junction
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 26.502    W 083° 50.706
  33.44169998    -83.8451004
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6W6X
Red Oak Church Marker  



Text:

Red Oak Church was established between 1803, when the Indians left this area, and late 1821, when Newton County was formed. The church grounds originally contained 4 acres, including the spring behind the church. The first building, between the present church and spring, was built of red oak logs, from which the church name is derived. Lorenzo Dow, on his mission to Georgia in 1803, is thought to have preached here and been instrumental in organizing the church. The present building is over 100 years old. Among the earliest graves in the cemetery is that of major Lewis Hogg, Revolutionary soldier, buried in September 1828.

GHM 107-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Red Oak Church
Red Oak Church


 

107-2