Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sherman at Harris' Quarters



Marker ID: GHM 107-8
Location: US 278 at Ga 142 east of Covington
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.562    W 083° 47.742
  33.59270096    -83.79570007
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6W6C
Sherman at Harris' Quarters Marker  



Text:

On Nov. 18, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi (USA), Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman were established here at ´Harris´ Quarters´, the overseer´s house and negro cabins of a large plantation owned by Judge John Harris of Covington. Gen. Sherman was accompanying the 14th Corps. Maj. Gen. J.C. Davis.

After stripping Harris, Graves, and other nearby plantations of livestock, provisions and able-bodied negroes, the 14th Corps departed on the 19th and marched SE through Shady Dale and Sand Town (Newborn) enroute to rendezvous with Hq. Left Wing and the 20th Corps at Milledgeville.

GHM 108-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

107-8