Historic Markers Across Georgia



Brick Store - 1822



Marker ID: NCHS 1
Location: Located on the old brick store, 12931 Hwy 278, Covington, GA
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 36.107    W 083° 44.687
  33.60178333    -83.74478333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QN
Brick Store - 1822 Marker  



Text:

December 24, 1821

The General Store and residents of Martin Kolb was named by the Georgia General Assembly as the temporary meeting place for elections and courts of the newly formed Newton County.

The first justices of the inferior court were George Cunningham, Larkin Dunn, Willoughby Hammack and George Lane. The first sheriff was Lemuel Wynne.

The building and land were deeded to the Newton County Historical Society Charles M. Jordan in 1971.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 1 October 18, 1990



 
Brick Store
Brick Store - 1822


 

107-N1