Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Starrsville Store



Marker ID: NCHS 10
Location: On County Rout 213 at the intersection with Dixie Rd, Starrsville, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.859    W 083° 48.366
  33.53098333    -83.8061
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6XK0
Old Starrsville Store Marker  



Text:

In the early 1830´s mercantile business occupied this site. It was first owned and operated by George Leak, then successively. John W. Starr, C.C. Epps & Co., Benton & Cook, L.H. Cook & Son, Wilson Walton and Mrs. E. A. King.

A two story wood frame building, the upper floor serving as a meeting hall for a Masonic Lodge, Temperance Union, and other social & political organizations.

The first Starrsville Post Office opened here in 1936.

One of the county´s oldest buildings, it was demolished in 1992.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 10 September 20, 1995



 

Old Starrsville Store


 

107-N10