Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cedar Shoals - Porterdale - 1821



Marker ID: NCHS 11
Location: 16 Main Street - Porterdale
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 34.306    W 083° 53.809
  33.57176666    -83.89681666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QM
Cedar Shoals - Porterdale - 1821 Marker  



Text:

The hydropower of a 48 foot fall on the River attracted early industry. 1831, Noah Phillips & partners had made the town of Cedar Shoals an impressive industrial complex -- sawmills, grist mill, cotton, wool, chair factories and a cotton plantation. Aided by the proximity of the railroad (1845) the mills remained active, particularly during the Civil War. In 1890, the complex was sold to Bibb Mfg. Co. The company expanded and provided the supports required by the employees. A model textile village evolved. Cedar Shoals was renamed Porterdale in honor of O.S. Porter in 1917. Famous for the production of yarn and seine twine, the mills expanded to 2500 employees during the most productive years (1940 - 1970). By 1996, only Osprey Mill remains. The town is now governed by a Mayor and Council.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 11, May 15, 1996



 

Cedar Shoals - Porterdale - 1821

Notes:

Prosperous Industrial Site. Model Textile Mill Village

 

107-N11