Historic Markers Across Georgia



Newborn



Marker ID: NCHS 12
Location: Hwy 142 southeast of town, Newborn, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 30.835    W 083° 41.504
  33.51391666    -83.69173333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QK
Newborn Marker  



Text:

Formerly part of Baldwin, Jasper counties

Settlement began after the 1807 Land Lottery. R. Fretwell, W. Burge, J. Hartwell & S. Gay moved to the area c. 1809. A log church was built for the Methodist in 1820. Bufus Broome, Nestorr & John W. Pitts settled with the idea of developing the town. Sandtown (Newborn) became a hub of trade, education and medical care. Newborn Academy / Palmyra Institute was established 1837. John W. Pitts, a Union sympathizer is credited with saving the town from Sherman´s torch by entertaining the General on 11/19/1864. The arrival of the middle Ga. & Atlantic R.R. in 1893 gave a boost to the economy were cotton dominated until after World War II.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 12 April 30, 1996



 

Newborn

Notes:

Early settlers arrived in 1809. Center of trade, education,
and medical care.

 

107-N12