Historic Markers Across Georgia



Newton County Academy / The Male Academy - 1822



Marker ID: NCHS 13
Location: On Academy Springs Circle, in the park at the spring, Covington, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.563    W 083° 51.150
  33.59271666    -83.8525
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QH
Newton County Academy / The Male Academy - 1822 Marker  



Text:

Though chartered early, the building for the Academy was not completed until 1827. At first girls & boys attended. Shortly, however, it became all male school, also known as Academy Springs School for Boys. In 1889, the school merged with the Female College under the Covington City Public School Commission. The building was demolished. In the early 1990s, the Chautauqua was featured annually for the enhancement of cultural life. Today, this site continues to serve as a popular park.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 13 June 15, 1996



 

Newton County Academy / The Male Academy - 1822

Notes:

Newton County Academy became Academy Springs
School for Boys. Now a popular City Park.

 

107-N13