Historic Markers Across Georgia



Snapping Shoals - 1821



Marker ID: NCHS 14
Location: Intersection of Hwy 81 and Hwy 212
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 29.254    W 083° 57.377
  33.48756666    -83.95628333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QE
Snapping Shoals - 1821 Marker  



Text:

Water power, fertile land and excellent fishing were major attractions. Early settlers built a sawmill, grist mill and other small industries. The town developed on both sides of the river and flourished in the 1900´s. In 1936 Snapping Shoals Power and Light Co, was the forerunner to Snapping Shoals E.M.C. which later moved to Covington. The original small hydro-turbine generators were still in use in 1996. A new road and bridge diverted traffic away from the town. In 1968, the last general store closed.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 14, March 14, 1996



 

Snapping Shoals - 1821

Notes:

Indian Fishery on the South River. Early Industrial Site.

 

107-N14